in vitro mutagenesis

Yasha Hartberg Yasha at bioch.tamu.edu
Tue Aug 30 14:50:15 EST 1994

In article
<Pine.3.07.9408290802.A4102-a100000 at alpha.prospect.anprod.csiro.au>,
davead at prospect.anprod.csiro.au (David Adelson) wrote:

> Hey, I'm no expert, but I can say that on the first and only attempt at
> site directed mutagenesis we succeeded with the Clontech Transformer TM
> kit.  Others here have had good results as well.  I don't know about any
> other kits or methods but if you want to know if an idiot can do it I can
> definitely say yes!!
>
> cheers,

Well, not every idiot can do it.  I've tried for the past three months to
get the kit to work with no results.  Others in the lab have used it
routinely and gotten good results, but I've had to resort to good 'ol
Kunkel selection mutagenesis.  Success with the Clontech Transformer Kit
depends a lot on the plasmid you're using as a template.

Yasha Hartberg
Texas A&M University
Andy Warhol: "The most beautiful thing in Tokyo is McDonald's."