Making electrophoresis boxes

dkim at unm.edu dkim at unm.edu
Thu Dec 1 11:22:07 EST 1994

Hello:

I would like to make an apparatus for PAGE, using a size format similar to the
Hoefer Tall Mighty Small.  This is about 10 x 12 cm.  The original apparatus
is quite simple in design, and the plastic parts are easily fabricated from
Plexiglas or some similar plastic.  The problem is that I don't know what to
use for the electrodes.  I am aware that most of the wires used for
electrophresis electrodes are made of platinum.  Is there a reason for this?
Why can't stainless steel be used?

Any answers or hints would be appreciated.  Thanks

Daniel KIm
dkim at triton.unm.edu