Making electrophoresis boxes

B.L.Cohen gbga13 at udcf.gla.ac.uk
Fri Dec 2 12:29:01 EST 1994

 I am aware that most of the wires used for
> electrophresis electrodes are made of platinum.  Is there a reason for this?
> Why can't stainless steel be used?

Many years ago I used stainless steel gauze successfully for one electrode
and platinum wire for the other in starch-gel electrophoresis in a variety
of alkaline buffers including Tris-EDTA-Borate.   SS electrolyses away at
one end, but is stable at the other.  Electrochemical theory or a trial
will tell you which.  Unfortunately the electrodes were taken apart some
time ago and my box of bits no longer contains clues to remind me which end
was SS and which platinum.   Memory (a fickle jade) says that SS was at the
negative pole, i.e. connected to black or white (not red) on the
power-pack.   The connection between SS gauze and flexible lead can be made
with a clamp screw or crocodile clip if the whole area is embedded in
silicone rubber bathroom caulk - the sort that gives off acetic acid.
--
Dr Bernard L. Cohen          Phone (+44) (0)41 339 8855 ext. 5103/5101
Genetics Dept.,              Fax               330 5994