Making electrophoresis boxes

lwlkarel at lwlkarel at
Fri Dec 2 05:01:35 EST 1994

From: dkim at
Newsgroups: bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts
Subject: Making electrophoresis boxes
Date: 1 Dec 1994 09:22:07 -0700
Sender: dkim at

I would like to make an apparatus for PAGE, using a size format similar to the
Hoefer Tall Mighty Small.  This is about 10 x 12 cm.  The original apparatus
is quite simple in design, and the plastic parts are easily fabricated from
Plexiglas or some similar plastic.  The problem is that I don't know what to
use for the electrodes.  I am aware that most of the wires used for
electrophresis electrodes are made of platinum.  Is there a reason for this?
Why can't stainless steel be used?

Any answers or hints would be appreciated.  Thanks

Daniel KIm
dkim at