PCR of semen samples

Dieter Palmer Dieter_Palmer at QM.AGRIC.WA.GOV.AU
Mon Dec 5 23:04:12 EST 1994

                       Subject:                               Time:11:46 AM
  OFFICE MEMO          PCR of semen samples                   Date:6/12/94
Has anyone out there used PCR on semen samples? Are there any particular
problems associated with using PCR on this sample eg does the DNA in semen
itself cause problems?? Are there any good commercial kits for extracting the
DNA from semen or do you have a favoured in-house method??
I want to amplify bacterial DNA and look for bacteria which may be present in
semen. I would be grateful for any hints or advice you can provide on this
subject.