Open Question--has anyone noticed how tight budgets are?

Rae Nishi nishir at ohsu.edu
Tue Dec 6 14:11:42 EST 1994

In article <3c0fk2$bgq at ixnews2.ix.netcom.com>
jb at ix.netcom.com (Jeffrey bronchick) writes:

> Looking for comments on the general issue of: spending is being
> scrutinized much more severely in healthscience labs and I am under
> continual pressure to reduce lab/experiment costs versus 5 years ago
> when "quality" was the first thing I looked for in materials etc.
>
> thanks
> jb at ix.netcom.com

As a PI who is constantly reminding everyone how much everything costs,
I can say that it's a real bummer when NIH programs take 20-25%
administrative cuts on your budget (5 years ago they were taking 10%
cuts).  Unless you are really willing to cut personnel, your supply
budget takes most of the hit.  This newsgroup is great for getting
ideas on how to cut costs; eg., avoid kits.

Rae Nishi
Dept. Cell Biology & Anatomy
Oregon Health Sciences University
Portland Oregon 97201