Help me on RNA sequencing

Joan Rowe joan at scs.unr.edu
Tue Dec 6 20:42:21 EST 1994

: It's me again. I need help on RNA sequencing. When I sequenced viral RNA,
: the result was so many ladders on all 4 lanes.

Hi,

I did a lot of direct virus RNA sequencing a few years back and always
had trouble with bands across all four lanes until I started adding a
terminal transferase chase reaction.  It works like a charm (most of the
time).  But if your primer is priming several different viruses, you will
not get clean sequence even then.  You have to be sure that the primer is
specific ony for the virus of interest.

If you want the method I can dig it out, but don't have it at hand right now.

Joan