The price of biotin has increased 50X

Dave Gilbert gilbertd at VAX.CS.HSCSYR.EDU
Tue Dec 6 08:20:25 EST 1994

In 1992, I was buying biotin-11-dUTP for less than $210.00 per mg.
Sometime in 1993 the price increased to greater than $11,025.00 per mg. A
rep. at Sigma said that it had something to do with a patent dispute
involving the original developper of the reagent biotin.  For my purposes I
switched to BrdUTP for the majority of my experiments and saved my precious
biotin-11-dUTP for experiments where I had no choice, hoping that this
dispute would be resolved.  I am about to run out of my stock and I see
that the price has not changed.  Does anyone know what is going on?

Dave Gilbert
SUNY Health Science Center
750 E. Adams St.
Syracuse, N.Y. 13210