Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D. Stephen_Lasky at
Tue Dec 6 15:00:14 EST 1994

In article <3bqbph$7et at>, christian a geltinger
<geltinger at> wrote:

> Dear netters,
> unexpectedly at the end of the year we have some money left (you believe that
> ?). So we decided to buy a blotter.
>  Does somebody have experiences either bad or good with electro and vacuum
> blotters to do southern blots mainly? Fragments to resolve will be in
the range
> of up to 25 kb. Any recomendations and tips will be highly appreciated.
> Please respond directly to the e-mail address
> uj23116 at
> not to the newsgroup itself ! (We haven+t subscribed yet)
> Dr. Horst Schmieger
> Institut fuer Genetik der LMU Muenchen
> Tel.: ++49/89/ 1791 9816
> Fax.: ++49/89/ 1791 9820
> e-mail: uj23116 at

The vacuum blotters that I have used leave a lot to be desire.
Electroblotters are convenient in that they can also be used for western
blotting, but they use a lot of reagents, require a power suppy and are
expensive.  Positive Pressure blotters (Posiblotters) give better
transfers than vacuum blotters (IMHO).  Since one normally does (or at
least I always do when I want to transfer large DNA's) a limited acid
hydrolysis of DNA that is to be transfered, the size of your DNA is not
really important.

These are just my opinions.

Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D.
Roger Williams Medical Center/Brown University
Phone: 401-456-6572       Fax: 401-456-6569       e-mail: Stephen_Lasky at
"To me at least, 'Yuck' doesn't capture the full essence of death by
neurotoxin."   -Dick Dunn