SDS-PAGE gel problem

Kitty Kit Chui ez027154 at
Tue Dec 6 22:40:37 EST 1994

In the past, other people in my lab were able to resolve the
phosphorylated and unphosphorylated forms of the protein in SDS-PAGE gel
with 5% for running and 3% for stacking.  The ratio of acrylamide : bis
is 30%-0.8%.  The phosphorylated form usually runs at a much higher
molecular weight than the unphosphorylated one.  However, my gel kept
giving only one band.  I have even tried other solutions in the lab made
by other people and it gave the same results.  I even included a marker,
a mixture of the two forms, and it failed to resolved too.

The bands seem to be OK; they are sharp flat bands.  (The MW is about 200kD)
However, the problem is I cannot resolve the two forms.

If anyone has any idea what I should check in my experiment, please e-mail me
(kkchui at or reply here.
Thank you for your help in advance.

Kitty Chui
Section of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
UC Davis