Multi primers PCR

Paul A. Vescio vescip at
Wed Dec 7 02:59:19 EST 1994

In Article <1994Dec6.161419.1 at leif>, mmai at wrote:
>Hi. Does anyone have the experience to do multi primers PCR? It means that
>more than one gene fragments are amplified with two or more pairs of primers.
>If it works this technique will be very good the check low abundance mRNA
>with a control PCR band. Thanx in advance.
I have not done multiprimer PCR per se but have done PCR using a 16S rRNA
universal primer for bacterial community DNA and have added a 2nd forward
primer that is only specific to Ps. cepacia's 16S sequence and have been
able to consistently obtain multiple PCr fragments of the right size with
these 3 primers.  I think as long as you know the specificity of your
primers you can use multiple sets if the annealing temperatures are close

Paul A. Vescio
Biology Dept.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

!!New York Rangers  Stanley Cup Champions 1994!!