What is spermidine???

Michael D Kawalek kawalekm at watserv.ucr.edu
Wed Dec 7 17:16:45 EST 1994

Lana C Stallard (stallard at badlands.NoDak.edu) wrote:
: Paquette Yves (paquetty at ERE.UMontreal.CA) wrote:
: : pnh at fcs260c2.ncifcrf.gov (Paul N Hengen) writes:

: : > In article <3abvm3$t93 at noc.usfca.edu>
: : > padmmv00 at ac.usfca.edu (Mandalaparthy) writes:

: : >| I was told that Spermidine helps to cut lambda DNA faster with restriction
: : >| enzymes.  It would be helpful if anyone knows what is the function of
: : >| spermidine and if I can make it in the lab/or need to order it.Pl e-mail to
: : >| padmmv00 at ac.usfca.edu.

: : >Spermidine is a polyamine which binds nonspecifically to DNA. This will not
: : >allow your enzyme to cut "faster", but will reduce restriction digestion at
: : >non-specific sites. You're probably better off buying it from Sigma since it's
: : >not expensive. It would cost your far more time and effort to isolate it

: : Spermidine also helps to cut impure DNA, like crude preps from transgenic
: : mouse tails, with some enzymes, like BamHI and EcoRI for example.
: : I dont know if it helps with all enzymes.
: : I dont know why it helps, but I think that it may displace some
: : contaminating proteins from the DNA.

: : Yves Paquette