Selective Media Blues...

Wed Dec 7 13:25:53 EST 1994

In article <3c3amk$479 at>,
 <G.Dellaire at PO-Box.McGill.CA> wrote:
>   G. Dellaire at PO-Box.McGill.CA writes:
>  I am involved in a recombination project and I would like to include a gene for selection in my constructs other than
>  Tk or neo..... Does anyone know off another selection?   I want to be able to test cell lines such as xoderma pigmentosa and
>  other DNA repair deficient cell lines that are unfortunately TK+......

I seem to remember some years ago that some people were using "Ecogpt,"
(I think, E.coli, guanine phosphoribosyl transferase).  I've never used
this myself, so my recollection is somewhat foggy (and I don't have the
refs, as well), but I think it relies on poisoning the purine de novo
synthesis pathway and rescuing the cells via the salvage pathway with
xanthine, which ecogpt can use, but eucaryotic cells can not. I also seem
to remember that not all the reagents needed were commercially available,
so maybe this is why this method never became very popular.

			Nick Theodorakis
			ntheo at
			Johns Hopkins Medical School, Baltimore, MD