Drying sequencing gels

Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D. Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu
Fri Dec 9 15:04:09 EST 1994

In article <9412082355.AA25411 at fraser.sfu.ca>, richardk at sfu.ca (Richard
Kenneth Bruce Martel) wrote:

> Ashu wrote:
> I am lately having problem drying my sequencing gels following fixing
> (5% MeOH/5
> % AcOOH) to remove urea. The problem is that the Sarab Wrap is
> sticking badly to
>  the gel therefore either it does not come off easily or my gel
> remains stick.I
> am using 35S-dATP therefore I need to remove the wrap before
> exposing. Any sugge
> stions will be appreciated.  Ashu
>

> I have heard of people dusting the gel with talcum or baby powder
> before wraping the gel in saran wrap.  You could also check the FAQ
> for other ideas.  Rick

Rick:  I think that they dusted the gel after drying to keep the film from
sticking to unfixed sequencing gels, not before drying the gel.  That
would probably make a real mess.

Ashu:  There have been lengthy discussions in this group about not fixing
35S sequencing gels.  I haven't fixed a sequencing gel for years.  I just
dry it for about 45 min to 1 hr at 80 degrees C and then continue drying
with no heat for 15 min more.  My gels dont stick to the saran wrap or
film.

Good luck

SRLasky

Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D.
Roger Williams Medical Center/Brown University
Phone: 401-456-6572       Fax: 401-456-6569       e-mail: Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu
"To me at least, 'Yuck' doesn't capture the full essence of death by
neurotoxin."   -Dick Dunn