Reverse transcription and RNA second. structure

Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D. Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu
Fri Dec 9 18:06:52 EST 1994

In article <krzychwl-091294134232 at hygeia.nidr.nih.gov>,
krzychwl at helix.nih.gov (krzych) wrote:

> Can reverse transcriptase jump over a loop of secondary structure and
> transcribe further, yelding shorter transcripts?

Yes.  It can also loop back around and give you a duplication within a
transcript.

> Is there any published documentation of this phenomenon?

I don't know about documentation, but we published a paper in 1987 that
had an incorrect sequence of IGF-1 because of this type of artifact in a
rat liver cDNA library from Clonetech. We published it in MoleEndo and
submitted it to GenBank.  I'm sure its corrected by now (I'm not working
in that field anymore).

SRLasky

Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D.
Roger Williams Medical Center/Brown University
Phone: 401-456-6572       Fax: 401-456-6569       e-mail: Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu
"To me at least, 'Yuck' doesn't capture the full essence of death by
neurotoxin."   -Dick Dunn