Cell wall degradation desired..

Castor Menendez menendez at tibm2.ruf.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Dec 9 12:47:52 EST 1994

I am working with a Gram + bacterium (Arthrobacter nicotinovorans). Part
of my experiments involve detection and purification of DNA binding
proteins present on cell extracts of this bug. I use to prepare my cell
extracts with a sonifier, but this procedure is very unefficient.
I added enzymes (lysozyme and/or mutanolysin, both from Sigma) prior
 to the sonification in order to try to improve the lysis efficiency,
 but it seems it did not help.

Does anybody has ideas which could help me improving my process?
Does anybody knows of an enzyme attacking efficiently Gram + bacteria?

Thanks in advance,

Castor.

menendez at mibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de