Drying sequencing gels

Michael Romero MROMERO at biomed.med.yale.edu
Fri Dec 9 10:59:06 EST 1994

In <D0I1IM.AyK at acsu.buffalo.edu> orbashu at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

> I am lately having problem drying my sequencing gels following fixing (5% MeOH/5% AcOOH) to remove urea. The problem is that the Sarab Wrap is sticking badly to the gel therefore either it does not come off easily or my gel remains stick.I am using 35S-dATP therefore I need to remove the wrap before exposing. Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Ashu

is there some reason for trying to remove the urea...
we've found that the fixation and removal of urea is not necessary...
in fact, fixation tends to "blurr" the sequencing bands.

if your gel is sticking to the saran wrap, you may not be drying the
gel long enough...make sure that there is a good seal on the gel dryer

hope it helps
mike