glass beads

Tom Chappell dmcbtch at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 9 12:30:40 EST 1994

In article <3c098h$3sc at nuscc.nus.sg>
phstayhn at leonis.nus.sg (Dr Tay Hou Ngee Agnes) writes:

> Hi, Does anyone know a supplier and catalog no for glass beads used to
> spread bacteria in transformation (instead of spreader made from pasteur
> pipet)? Please reply to phstayhn at leonis.nus.sg
> Thanks
> Agnes

The key is knowing where to look in the catalog. Companies that sell
"Quickfit" chemical flasks (general chemistry glassware with ground
glass joints) sell distillation columns. There are various packing
materials for distillation columns. One option is to use 3 or 4 mm
glass beads. Instead of using them to pack distillation columns, I use
them to spread plates (both yeast and bacteria).

Tom Chappell
MRC Lab for Mol. Cell Biology
University College London