Primer selection

David R. Rockhold drr at PW.USDA.GOV
Fri Dec 9 10:16:48 EST 1994

We have found RightPrimer by BioDisk Software indespensible. Not only does
it predict and help prevent internal duplications, etc., it checks the
background your will be working in, e.g., plants, drosophila, etc. and is
VERY good at predicting how well a primer will work.  Contact them at
72610.2445 at compuserve.com.  I'm not connected with BioDisk in any way but
have been a beta tester.
>In article <mcgorry-0812941658450001 at quadra950.pathology.pitt.edu>,
>mcgorry at med.pitt.edu (Michael Gorry) wrote:
>
>> Can anyone indicate a source that can be used to obtain the information
>> needed when selecting primers?
>
>   You could try using the Oligo primer analysis software put out by
>National Biosciences.  I find it works very well for showing primer duplex
>formation, hairpins and other such secondary structures and all the others
>things you mentioned. Though it does recomend ridiculous annealing
>temperatures and its not that great at selecting primers for a given DNA
>sequence. Its biggest drawback? It costs a couple of hundred $.

Dave Rockhold, Microbiologist          Phone 510-559-5722
800 Buchanan Street                    Fax   510-559-5775
Albany, CA  94710