Native gel problems

Jim Hutchins hutchins at fiona.umsmed.edu
Sat Dec 10 00:10:47 EST 1994

JMORELLI at MAINE.MAINE.EDU wrote:
: I am trying to run a native (no SDS) acrylamide gel on some basic
: proteins. (myoglobin, hemoglobin)  I hav so far not had much luck.
[stuff deleted]

Jim, (nice name, that :-) )

I have not yet tried it, but I have been reading up on native PAGE.
The best reference I've found so far is in the "Practical Approach"
series:

Gel Electrophoresis: A Practical Approach (author Hames, I think,
but I'm at home and do not have the complete ref)

Unlike SDS-PAGE, as you suspect, the upper and lower buffers are
different.  I have heard of using phosphate but have not tried it.

Hope this helps

Jim Hutchins                    []     E-Mail: hutchins at fiona.umsmed.edu
Associate Professor, Anatomy    []     Assistant Professor, Neurology
Univ Mississippi Med Ctr        []     Jackson, MS