Drying sequencing gels

DNA Rules! kpfarr at emerald.tufts.edu
Thu Dec 8 20:50:55 EST 1994

orbashu at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu wrote:
: I am lately having problem drying my sequencing gels following fixing (5% MeOH/5% AcOOH) to remove urea. The problem is that the Sarab Wrap is sticking badly to the gel therefore either it does not come off easily or my gel remains stick.I am using 35S-
dATP therefore I need to remove the wrap before exposing. Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Ashu

I sequence using s35 and never fix my gels or remove the saran after
drying.  As long as you have enough DNA for template, you should be able
to read your sequence using this method after an overnight exposure.
Using baby powder will prevent the gel sticking to your film, if you
absolutely must not have the saran on the gel.  Just be sure to shake the
powder evenly over the gel and shake off any excess.