S.O.S. PROTEIN OVEREXPRESSION!!!!!

Jorge.Hernandez at bota.unine.ch Jorge.Hernandez at bota.unine.ch
Wed Dec 14 11:20:49 EST 1994

Hello netters!

I'm trying to overexpress two plant proteins in E.coli. I use the
expression vector pET3d and BL21(DE3) as E.coli strain. Both cDNAS
are cloned on the same strand having each a ribosome binding site (dicistron).
Thus, they are expected to be co-transcribed but translated separately
cf. the following scheme:

T7 Promoter !   RBS               RBS
             !  /  protein  1     /      protein 2
            5'===--------------===---------------- 3'

                         -------->
                        TRANSLATION

The problem:
Protein 2 is expressed but not protein 1. I use polyclonal antibodies
to monitor expression of each gene.

The question:
Can anyone help me to explain why protein 1 is not expressed?
I would appreciate all suggestions about.
Thanks in advance,

Georges,

E-mail: Jorge.hernandez at bota.unine.ch
                                              °