Glycerol vs. Glucose in bacterial media

Robert Solomon Bioc rgs at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 15 12:15:32 EST 1994

ljlj at midway.uchicago.edu (Loren Joseph) writes:
>I would like to know what determines when to use glycerol or
>glucose in media.

<snip>

Well, my old boss used to advise against using glucose on the basis of
its causing acidification of the cytoplasm during growth (potentially
detrimental to the expressed protein).  So I usually used glycerol at
ca. 30 mM.  But I have not observed much difference in expression/yield
from strains grown at different times with either carbon source.
Obviously, if using a catabolite promoter (e.g. lac promoter) then
it's best to avoid glucose, but this is not the case for tac promoter,
and I can't see why it should be for lambda pL or pR promoters.
Ignorance is such bliss.

Rob Solomon
Lost in CyberSpace