Glycerol vs. Glucose in bacterial media

Jim Owens jow at helix.nih.gov
Thu Dec 15 17:03:47 EST 1994

In article <ljlj-1412941803440001 at imm-mac1.bsd.uchicago.edu> Loren
Joseph, ljlj at midway.uchicago.edu writes:
>It doesn't
>appear as if glucose has anything to do with induction of the protein.
Does

In article <3cptjk$qib at lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk> Robert Solomon,
rgs at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk writes:
>Well, my old boss used to advise against using glucose on the basis of
>its causing acidification of the cytoplasm during growth (potentially
>detrimental to the expressed protein).

I wish I could remember what the Pasteur effect is.  All I remember is
that E. coli that has glucose as the carbon source shows it but not cells
grown with glycerol as the carbon source.

A very merry Christmas to anyone who can enlighten me.

Thanks,

Jim Owens