Microdissection of yeast spores

M. Charbonneau mcharbon at ens.ens-lyon.fr
Sat Dec 17 08:00:13 EST 1994

Mr. Lawrence's Company (Pioneer, California) adapts micropositioners on
microscope stands for separation of yeast ascospores. He received my
microscope on July 22, 1994 (I bought it $6,OOO from another company). His
paiement, $4,100, was sent to him from France on July 27, 1994, but
following Mr. Lawrence's mistake in paperwork (he sent me an invoice with
his old address written on it), was lost and the work interrupted until
September 27, when I wired the money to him after cancelling the check.
After I politely suggested to him that he should now do his best to try to
shorten delays as far as he could in order to attenuate the consequences of
his mistake on our research projects, Mr. Lawrence repeatedly delayed
shipment of the equipment until the situation degenerated (exchange of
insults). At this day (December 17, 1994) Mr. Lawrence still holds my
property, $10,000, and refuses to tell me when he will ship it (the
promised delay was 4-6 weeks from July 22) and threaten to hold the
equipment for 3 years (filing of litigation). If you plan to buy a yeast
ascospore microdissection system, and do no want to run into the same
hassle, then it is a good idea, first of all, to avoid Lawrence Instruments
and Manufacturing, in Pioneer, CA, and to inquire about the conditions (do
not pay in advance and do not have something which you have paid shipped to
someone else; this is particularly critical if you are not in the same
country, because action then is very limited). Following initial reports of
my horrifying experience with Lawrence Instr. Manuf., people on this
network have proposed attractive alternatives: $4,300 for the whole system
(microscope + micropositioner) from any local rep of Zeiss, Olympus or
Nikon/Alpert (Micro Video Instr., Avon, MA).
Michel Charbonneau mcharbon at ens.ens-lyon.fr