Overlapping Eucaryotic genes

Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D. Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu
Mon Dec 19 17:11:12 EST 1994

In article <01HKTO5TNH6Q002NRM at ccvax.sinica.edu.tw>,
MBDMITRY at CCVAX.SINICA.EDU.TW wrote:

> Dear netters!
> Does anybody have any information about overlapping genes in Eucaryotes,
> especially in Drosophila? Actually, I've got two different cDNAs that overlap
> on their 3'-end sequence. This was also shown by the corresponding genomic
> fragment sequencing. Thanks in adwance for any hints on that subject.
>
> Dmitri Bessarab
> Postdoctoral Fellow
> Institute of Molecular Biology
> Academia Sinica
> Nankang Taipei
> Taiwan
> mbdmitry at ccvax.sinica.edu.tw

Dimitri:
I saw the first two responses to your post, but I'm not sure that was what
you were looking for.  You might want to  check out some references on a
gene called rev-erbA alpha and beta.  It is a gene transcribed from the
opposite strand of the thyroid hormone receptor and overlaps at the 3' end
of the coding region.  Some of the authors on papers about this gene are
Darling (I think), maybe WW Chin, V. Guigere and B. Forman (these are all
on different papers).  I know that a recent (within the last 3 months or
so) Molecular Endocrinology had two articles on a newly cloned member of
this family.

I have always been skeptical that a gene would be organized in this way
because of the need for very tight conservation.  When the rev-erbA was
first described I thought that it was probably a means of regulating
expression by anti-sense RNA (BTW, I believe that one of the exons of one
of the myc genes also is transcribed in the opposite direction).  But with
the two new Mol Endo papers, I believe that the rev-erbA gene is actually
transcribed and translated and acts as on orphan nuclear receptor and
transcription factor that helps regulate the experssion of other genes.

Hope that helps.

SRLasky

Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D.
Roger Williams Medical Center/Brown University
Phone: 401-456-6572       Fax: 401-456-6569       e-mail: Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu
"To me at least, 'Yuck' doesn't capture the full essence of death by
neurotoxin."   -Dick Dunn