Overlapping Eucaryotic genes

Tracy Aquilla aquilla at salus.med.uvm.edu
Mon Dec 19 11:01:54 EST 1994

In Article <01HKTO5TNH6Q002NRM at ccvax.sinica.edu.tw>,
MBDMITRY at CCVAX.SINICA.EDU.TW wrote:
>Dear netters!
>Does anybody have any information about overlapping genes in Eucaryotes,
>especially in Drosophila? Actually, I've got two different cDNAs that overlap
>on their 3'-end sequence. This was also shown by the corresponding genomic
>fragment sequencing. Thanks in adwance for any hints on that subject.
>
>Dmitri Bessarab
>Postdoctoral Fellow
>Institute of Molecular Biology
>Academia Sinica
>Nankang Taipei
>Taiwan
>mbdmitry at ccvax.sinica.edu.tw

This phenomenon does occur, although somewhat infrequently in most species I
am aware of, however, overlapping ORFs are relatively common in
baculoviruses. These overlapping mRNAs seem to be intimately involved in the
regulation of gene expression in these viruses. I am not aware of any cases
of this happening in Drosophila, but it is probably as common in these
critters as it is in other eukaryotes, such as yeast. In Nature 357:38-46
(1992) the complete sequence of chromosome III is presented. Of the
approximately 200 ORFs identified on this chromosome, only a few were
overlapping one another. Hope this helps some.
    Tracy