Synthetic Peptide Antibodies

John D. Valentich shark at sam.neosoft.com
Tue Dec 20 13:06:16 EST 1994

We have recently started preparing polyclonal antibodies in rabbits against synthetic peptides
from annexins and phospholipase A2 activating protein (PLAP).   Peptides were
conjugated to the carrier BSA.  We are wondering about the problem of
antibodies generated against BSA reacting with serum albumin or albumin-like
epitopes in other cellular proteins.  Questions:

1.  Is it likely (or inevitable) that our antisera will contain high titer
antibodies against BSA? Could they be expected to cross react with other
non-albumin cellular proteins?

2.  If so, is the best (or only?) solution to this problem affinity purification of annexin or PLAP
antibodies from the antisera?

3.  What are other possible solutions?