Mouse liver DNA?

Lee H. Remington lremington at popmail.ucsd.edu
Wed Dec 21 07:00:46 EST 1994

I am trying to make genomic DNA from mouse liver.  Unfortunately, after
prot K digestion of homogenized tissue and phenol/Chloroform
extraction/ethanol precipitation, I am getting a flocculent white
precipitate coming out with the DNA.  I am not seeing the nice stringy
genomic DNA in my precipitation that I expect.  I have tried multiple
phenol/chloroform extractions and precipitations but this white junk won't
disappear. Any idea what this precipitate is? lipoprotein? what can be
done to get rid of it?  Maybe there is a better part of the mouse to make
DNA from? I need lots for multiple southerns (15 µg/ southern).

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Lee Remington