Electroporation or Beakonization???

Sunee Kertbundit - ST stskb at mucc.mahidol.ac.th
Sun Dec 25 20:14:43 EST 1994

Dear Netters,

We are going to purchase an electroporation unit in the near future.
It is intended to be used for a wide variety of applications - from
gene transfer into bacteria, mammalian cell and plant protoplasts
to cell fusion or embryo transfection.  We are still considering
to buy this electroporator either Bio-Rad or BTX . Can anyone recommend
which machine is better?  Also, which generator is more suitable for a
wider range of applications - square wave or exponential decay?

Recently we are also checking another type of machine called
Beakon 2000.  According to the sales person it has much higher
transfer efficiency than classical electroporation due to the
use of very low current and employment of "Non-contact" mode of
operation, which doesn't damage the transferred molecules.  Can
anyone confirm these statements? Is this equipment suitable also
for plant protoplast transfer?
Thank you very much in advance.

Sunee Kertbundit
Mahidol University