Radioactive probes by PCR

Daniel L. Burgess Daniel.L.Burgess at
Wed Dec 28 11:50:27 EST 1994

In article <asheri-251294092545 at>, asheri at
(Ella) wrote:
> Does anyone have a good protocol for labelling PCR fragments with 32-P and
> using them as probes for Southern hybridization?
> Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
> Ella
> Dept. of Genetics, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
> email: asheri at

One thing we've been doing to improve incorporation of label during
random primed labelling of smallish (150-500 bp) PCR products is to
add a bit of both PCR primers (that were used to amplify the product)
to the reaction, in ADDITION to the random oligo mix.  This skews the
average size of the labelled product in your favor and presumably
also speeds up the reaction rate.

Daniel.L.Burgess at
PhD-2-B (T - 10 months, and counting)
Dept. of Human Genetics
Positional's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase.