Maxipep "problem"

Mark Thornton mthorn at cix.compulink.co.uk
Thu Dec 29 10:00:32 EST 1994

> Maxiprep problem?
> The last weeks we have observed some weird bands in our maxipreps.
> If we apply some of our maxipreps without restiction on a agarose gel a
> faint band of about 1 kb is seen. It is really a band and not a RNA
> smear. Restriction
> of the vector removes the band. The maxipreps were grown fresh from a
> single
> colony.
> Is it possible that the bacterial host strain is contaminated with
> something?
> Any suggestions are very welcome.
> Thanks,
> Jurgen Seppen
> Academic Medical Center
> Amsterdam
> The Netherlands

We sometimes get a 700bp-1kb band in our maxi preps- we came to the
conclusion it is an F'plasmid which the majority of host cells contain.
It may be this plasmid in your case as well .  Unfortunately we haven't
found a simple way of getting rid of it so far.  Any suggestions would be
gratefully received.

Angela Daffada
Institute of Cancer Research, LONDON UK

Replies to angela at icr.ac.uk