predicting pKa from a known a.a. seq?

Ding Ming ming at
Tue Feb 1 23:58:28 EST 1994

In article < at>, (Ing-Nang Wang) wrote:

> I wonder if there is any way you can predict the pKa value from a known
> amino acid seqence?  Is it jus a simple calculation, or it might be too
> complicated and needs a computer program to solve it?

Well, you can calculate it by summing up the pKa's of all the charge groups
in the sequence. But in these days, people didn't do this kind of
calculation anymore. It is a very simple calculation and you can get the
result in less than a minute if you use GCG.

Ding Ming                           Telephone: (608)265-3544
University of Wisconsin-Madison          Fax: (608)262-7420