SDS removal from samples

Cornelius Krasel krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de
Thu Feb 3 11:14:30 EST 1994

bahr at celsus.oci.utoronto.ca wrote:

: You might want to try "centricon" products.  They are produced by amicon in
: differing M.W. cutoffs and separatate by centrifugation.  In this manner,
: you can place your sample in the unit and repeatedly rinse the SDS through,
: somewhat like dialysis only faster.

I am not sure but I think this approach will not be very successful.
If the SDS forms micelles, these will not pass through the membrane.
It has been shown for another detergent, Tween 20, that it will
be enriched in Centricons or similar devices (sorry, don't know the
ref. right now). And if the SDS sticks to the proteins it is again
very unlikely that it will go through the membrane.

--Cornelius.

/* email: krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de                 fax: +49 89 8578 3795 */
/* "People are DNA's way of making more DNA." (Edward O. Wilson, 1975)    */