PCR inhibition by U.V.

txpljfg at UABCVSR.cvsr.uab.edu txpljfg at UABCVSR.cvsr.uab.edu
Fri Feb 4 14:15:56 EST 1994

UV irradiation of DNA causes the formation of thymine dimers.  I would
not recommend irradiation of the primers or the dNTPs.  It seems likely
that you are damaging your oligo's

> In order to eliminate contamination in my
> PCR reactions, I have treated most reagents
> with uv (except the oligos) including the
> wax, and am now getting poor yields where
> I used to get better yields using the same
> temperatures/times.  THE question:: does uv
> create some chemical products that inhibit
> pcr????
>
> Also I have heard that just storing oligo's for
> long periods in water at -20 C. will result in
> the oligo's being less efficient for PCR..
>
> ANY COMENTS?
> Rich
> rocket1 at bu.edu

James F. George, Ph.D.              "Back off man, I'm a scientist"
Department of Surgery                --Bill Murray
University of Alabama at Birmingham
205-934-4261 voice
txpljfg at uabcvsr.cvsr.uab.edu