Mueller-Hinton medium and amp(s) E. coli?

CLONTECH at BIOTECHNET.COM CLONTECH at BIOTECHNET.COM
Sun Feb 6 15:14:05 EST 1994

Rafael,

The starch/iodine assay kills the bacteria which means if you want to
recover the amp(s) colonies you have to replica-plate before staining.
Calbiochem sell a chromogenic substrate for beta-lactamase (the product
of the amp(r) gene) called PADAC that turns from violet to yellow. I
haven't used it but it sounds like it would beat the old starch/iodine
assay.

Paul Kitts.

p.s I have no connection with Calbiochem.

[These are my opinions, and not CLONTECH's]