PCR inhibition by U.V.

ZUNDE WANG U16788 at UICVM.UIC.EDU
Mon Feb 7 15:35:24 EST 1994

In article <2j1dvf$8r8 at news.mic.ucla.edu>, Ron Kagan <rkagan at ewald.mbi.ucla.edu>
says:
>I irradiate my PCR reactions all of the time with no problems.  I
>irradiate the reaction mixtures containing everything *except* the
>template, the oligos, and the Taq.  These, I think, are the only
>components that would be affected by UV.

Agree. I even included primers in the UV treatment and still got
good result. I guess it's because primers are short and excessive.
Template DNA and Tag are very sensitive to the UV light.
BTW, I treated the regents for 5 to 10 mins on a transilluminator
for mini gels (Foto/Phoresis I).

Zunde Wang
University of Illinois at Chicago