Preparation of DNA for mammalian cells

Carlisle Landel landel at medsci.udel.edu
Mon Feb 7 15:19:09 EST 1994

In preparing DNA for microinjection for the production of
transgenic mice, I routinely gel-purify a my band in low-
melt agarose and isolate it using an Elutip column.  It
works just fine.

We have had occasional trouble with glass milk (Gene Clean)
purified DNA--we thought the trouble might stem from using
old Gene Clean but since we never have had trouble with
Elutips, we always use that rather than try to figure out
the problem with glass milk.

All that stuff about using CsCl for making DNA for transgenics
is unnecessary, in my opinion.

Good luck!

Carlisle Landel
Dept. Medical Cell Biology