35-S in thermal cycling: contamination problems

Andreas Vogel vogel at urz.unibas.ch
Mon Feb 7 07:06:43 EST 1994

Dear netters out there,

I'm a new user and I don't know if the problem has been discussed before on the
methods-and-reagents bulletin board, if it has been, please hint me to where I
can find the relevant information. The PROBLEM:

35-S IS UNSTABLE IN THERMAL CYCLING AND CAUSES RADIOACTIVE CONTAMINATION OF
PCR CYCLERS AND, PROBABLY, THE LABORATORY ENVIRONMENT.
(No joke. I've been trying to clean PCR machines (two) for hours without
success.)

The QUESTION:

HOW CAN YOU PREVENT CONTAMINATION OF CYCLER AND LAB?
(Amersham say using 33-P, as it has been suggested by a company that sells PCR
cyclers, wouldn't help as it is also unstable in thermal cycling. Would certain
reaction tubes help preventing contamination? Are there additives that help?)

If you have any experience that you can share, please do share... I'd appreciateit.

Andreas Vogel
Biozentrum der Universitaet Basel
Klingelbergstr. 70
CH-4056 Basel