Wizard Minipreps

Steve Rodems smrodems at students.wisc.edu
Tue Feb 8 22:49:07 EST 1994

In article <leach-070294235254 at med-pharm16.bu.edu>, leach at mbcrr.harvard.edu
(Martin Leach) wrote:

> In article <2j5rhh$bs8 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, dmorgan at crc.ac.uk (Mr. D.D.
> Morgan) wrote:
>

> > We have recently started to use Promega's "new" Wizard Mini and
> > MAxiprep kits and have found the plasmid DNA degraded. Does
> > anyone have any tips or hints to improve the quality of the
> > DNA. (We used the Magic MINipreps without any of these problems)
>

> Don't buy Wizard preps.

I use Wizard minipreps quite often for sequencing miniprep DNA.  They work
great for sequencing; they're fast so I can easily do 16 minipreps,
sequence them, and run the gel all in a day.   BUT...I had problems with
Wizard Midiprep DNA.  I prepared a stock of plasmid from a 40 ml culture
using Wizard Midipreps and when I tried to digest the DNA I got a
substantial degradation of the DNA.  This happened with two different
restriction enzymes.  It cost me about a months worth of work because I
thought my problem was the enzyme until I cut the DNA with a different
enzyme and it did the same thing.  Also, I get much better transfection
efficiencies (transfecting into insect cells using CaPO4) with CsCl pure
DNA than with Wizard preps.  Thus, I've dropped using Wizard preps except
if I need to sequence minipreps.  Strange it can give you DNA good enough
to sequence but not good enough to do a simple digest.

I wonder if anyone from Promega is listening?

--
Steve "Some day I will get the hell out of Wisconsin" Rodems

"You know, the other day I ... oh, wait, that wasn't me"