Wizard Minipreps

scarr at kean.ucs.mun.ca scarr at kean.ucs.mun.ca
Wed Feb 9 09:06:00 EST 1994

In article <2j5tqm$mlj at news.bu.edu>, pfoster at bu.edu (Patricia Foster) writes:
> Mr. D.D. Morgan (dmorgan at crc.ac.uk) wrote:
>
> : We have recently started to use Promega's "new" Wizard Mini and
> : MAxiprep kits and have found the plasmid DNA degraded. Does
> : anyone have any tips or hints to improve the quality of the
> : DNA. (We used the Magic MINipreps without any of these problems)
>
>    This is a continuing thread!  I hearby report a total failure to
> get a single band when cycle sequencing PCR products prepared with
> Wizard PCR preps.  The *only* change from previous successful
> sequencing was Magic -> Wizard.
>   And we *did* warm the resin to redisolve the guanidine
>   PROMEGA ARE YOU LISTENING?  WE NEED THE RECIPE FOR THE OLD
> RESIN, OR THE NAME OF A COMPANY WE CAN BUY IT FROM!
>
> Pat
> --
> Patricia L. Foster
> Boston University School of Medicine
> Boston, MA USA
> pfoster at bu.edu

A perhaps obvious point (though one we ignored) is that the solutions
used with the Wizard prep cartridges are substantially different from
those used with Magic prep. It is still possible (or was at Christmas
time) to buy just the Magic prep columns and resin and make your own
solutions according to the recipes ProMega is happy to supply.

I agree: HELLO PROMEGA! Bring back 'Magic Prep CLASSIC' resin

Steven M. Carr
Dept. of Biology
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's NF A1B 3X9
CANADA

(709) 737-4776 office / -4713 lab / -4000 FAX
scarr at kean.ucs.mun.ca