Wizard Minipreps

User at mmid.ualberta.ca User at mmid.ualberta.ca
Thu Feb 10 21:29:18 EST 1994

<In article:  <2j5tqm$mlj at news.bu.edu> -> pfoster at bu.edu writes:
> Mr. D.D. Morgan (dmorgan at crc.ac.uk) wrote:
>
> : We have recently started to use Promega's "new" Wizard Mini and
> : MAxiprep kits and have found the plasmid DNA degraded. Does
> : anyone have any tips or hints to improve the quality of the
> : DNA. (We used the Magic MINipreps without any of these problems)
>
>    This is a continuing thread!  I hearby report a total failure to
> get a single band when cycle sequencing PCR products prepared with
> Wizard PCR preps.  The *only* change from previous successful
> sequencing was Magic -> Wizard.
>   And we *did* warm the resin to redisolve the guanidine
>   PROMEGA ARE YOU LISTENING?  WE NEED THE RECIPE FOR THE OLD
> RESIN, OR THE NAME OF A COMPANY WE CAN BUY IT FROM!
>
> Pat
> --
> Patricia L. Foster
> Boston University School of Medicine
> Boston, MA USA
> pfoster at bu.edu

The old resin in the "Magic" era was good ol' diatomaceous earth. Unfortunately,
Biorad held the patent for it's use as a DNA purification matrix, but they do have
Prep-A-Gene which uses the same matrix as "Magic" used to and "Wizard" does
not. With respect to the problems encountered post-Wizard, I don't have a clue.

Andrew
University of Alberta
Dept. Medical Microbiology
Edmonton, AB CANADA