Wizard Minipreps

User at mmid.ualberta.ca User at mmid.ualberta.ca
Thu Feb 10 21:18:07 EST 1994

<In article:  <2j5tqm$mlj at news.bu.edu> -> pfoster at bu.edu writes:
> Mr. D.D. Morgan (dmorgan at crc.ac.uk) wrote:
>
> : We have recently started to use Promega's "new" Wizard Mini and
> : MAxiprep kits and have found the plasmid DNA degraded. Does
> : anyone have any tips or hints to improve the quality of the
> : DNA. (We used the Magic MINipreps without any of these problems)
>
>    This is a continuing thread!  I hearby report a total failure to
> get a single band when cycle sequencing PCR products prepared with
> Wizard PCR preps.  The *only* change from previous successful
> sequencing was Magic -> Wizard.
>   And we *did* warm the resin to redisolve the guanidine
>   PROMEGA ARE YOU LISTENING?  WE NEED THE RECIPE FOR THE OLD
> RESIN, OR THE NAME OF A COMPANY WE CAN BUY IT FROM!
>
> Pat
> --
> Patricia L. Foster
> Boston University School of Medicine
> Boston, MA USA
> pfoster at bu.edu

As it turns out, the resin that they used to use is just plain old diatomaceous earth.
Yup, good ol' diatoms all washed and ground up. Unfortunately, there is a patent
on it's use as a DNA purification resin, thus, the advent of "Wizard." Biorad holds
the patent and markets it as Prep-A-Gene. I find that it works well.

Andrew
MMID
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB CANADA