Update on Magin/Wizard

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Thu Feb 10 18:41:12 EST 1994

In article <2jee42$a6e at news.bu.edu>, pfoster at bu.edu (Patricia Foster) writes:
> Dear Netters,
>   The Promega technical staff has assured me
> that the resin in Wizard PCR preps is the
> same as in Magic PCR preps -- although they
> changed all the other resins, they did not change
> that one.  So any trouble that I and other
> people have been having with Wizard PCR preps
> *cannot* be due to a change in the resin.
>   The Promega people really do believe that
> the problem is the weather.  Once the guanidine
> ppts, it is difficult to get back in to solution.
> They suggest warming it to 50oC and then allowing
> it to cool to below 30oC before use, and even
> everyday if your lab gets cold at night.
>   I am not associated with Promega in any way,
> but offered to put this information out because
> I had complained, unfairly as it turns out,
> about Wizard PCR preps.  So,
> folks, they are listening!
> pat
> --
> Patricia L. Foster
> Boston University School of Medicine
> Boston, MA USA
> pfoster at bu.edu

I'm glad to hear that Promega are on the case.  I assume that if the *resin*
wasn't changed for the PCR preps then at least one of the other reagents was
(perhaps guanidine thiocyanate to hydrochloride as mentioned in an earlier
posting).
	As far as the Wizard Maxi and Mega preps are concerned I can't buy
the weather story - we are unfortunate enough to have a -80degC freezer in
our lab so that the temperature never drops below 25-30degC (phew!) and so
it must probably be the new formulation.
	Has anyone stockpiled the old stuff?? :-)

				Bernard

Bernard Murray, Ph.D.
bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov  (National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892)
.