Update on Magin/Wizard

Patricia Foster pfoster at bu.edu
Thu Feb 10 17:57:06 EST 1994

Dear Netters,
  The Promega technical staff has assured me
that the resin in Wizard PCR preps is the
same as in Magic PCR preps -- although they
changed all the other resins, they did not change
that one.  So any trouble that I and other
people have been having with Wizard PCR preps
*cannot* be due to a change in the resin.
  The Promega people really do believe that
the problem is the weather.  Once the guanidine
ppts, it is difficult to get back in to solution.
They suggest warming it to 50oC and then allowing
it to cool to below 30oC before use, and even
everyday if your lab gets cold at night.
  I am not associated with Promega in any way,
but offered to put this information out because
I had complained, unfairly as it turns out,
about Wizard PCR preps.  So,
folks, they are listening!
pat
--