alternative to Whatman 3MM paper for drying down gels?

Liam E Good lgood at uoguelph.ca
Thu Feb 10 14:09:16 EST 1994

On 9 Feb 1994, Song Tan wrote:

> In article <Rasmussen-080294114008 at ls-10.biology.utah.edu>
> Rasmussen at Bioscience.utah.edu (Randy P. Rasmussen) writes:
> >In article <2j5ivn$jit at elna.ethz.ch>, tan at aeolus.vmsmail.ethz.ch (Song Tan)
> >wrote:
> >
> >>      Does anyone have any suggestions for cheaper alternatives to Whatman
> >> 3MMChr (commonly known as 3MM) paper for drying sequencing and bandshift gels?

Sure,  I think that several types of heavy commercial paper would work
well.  For several years we have been using Domtar Buvard Commercial
Blotting Paper.  It comes in 80lb boxes that we order through the
companies that provide office stationary stuff.  I don't know what it is
normally used for (not the kind of blotting that we do, I'm sure), but it
works great for lifting and drying gels.

Liam