Ethidium Bromide

Massimo Delledonne DELLE at IMICILEA.CILEA.IT
Mon Feb 14 07:45:49 EST 1994

In the RED BOOK Bulletin (Current protocol in Molecular Biology)
   supplement 17 - Winter 1992:

" .... to our knowledge , ethidium does not easily penetrate living cells and t
hus we think the cancer risk from its topical application to the skin is like t
o be remote. Third, in these experiments (the ability of the compound to revert
 certain his- mutations to his+ in especially engineered strains of Salmonella)
 ethidium produced 200 his+ revertants/microgram, while the smoke from a single
 cigarette produced 18,200 revertants in a related strain that carried the same
mutation. Althoughwe do not wish to push the message too far, we beleive that
this result suggests a clear course of action: one should by all means dispose
of ethidium in a way that inactivates its mutagenic potential; to do so cannot
harm the environmentand may do some small good. At the same time, however, one
 should pity the person whose job it is to empty the ashtrays."  |

                                     8-)

greetings ...
                                                       Massimo Delledonne

Massimo Delledonne                              _%%%_____________________%%%_
Istituto di Genetica vegetale                    %%%  ()     **      ()  %%%
Universita' Cattolica S.C. Piacenza -ITALY-       %%   ()   (  )    ()   %%
Bitnet    delle at ipcucsc                                ( )___%%___( )
Internet  delle at imicilea.cilea.it                        (        )
                                                          (      )
"A wrong model is better than no model at all"  (Goethe)   (%%%%)