E. coli TG2 info, please

Patricia Foster pfoster at bu.edu
Tue Feb 15 15:45:17 EST 1994

Cornelius Krasel (krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de) wrote:

: As an aside, where would you find out what a description like recA1 really
: means? (That is, is it a point mutation, a deletion, a frameshift or whatever?)
: Maybe this is a trivial question, but so far I have not been able to track
: down detailed descriptions of genotypes.

   recA1 would be the first recA allele described in the literature.  It was
isolated by AJ Clark in 1965 (PNAS 53:451-459).  recA13 would be the thirteenth
recA mutant.  It was isolated by Paul Howard-Flanders in 1966 (Genetics 53:1137-1150).  I do not have the Clark paper, so I do not know what he did to get the
mutation, but Howard-Flanders used nitrosoguanidine, so the chances are excellent
that recA13 is a point mutation. recA13 is also dominant.
   There is a vast literature on recA alleles, so I would guess
by not being able to find it, you mean in a manual.  This is not surprising.
These alleles were isolated for the purpose of studying recombination and
DNA repair, and we will only know the nature of the defect at the sequence
level if someone took the trouble to sequence it (except those alleles that
were suppressible or had changed isoelectric points).  The recA deletion is
described in Csonka and Clark, Genetics 93:321-343 (1980).
  If you want to know more, try Clark, 1973 An. Rev. Genetics 7:67-86.
-
Patricia L. Foster
Boston University School of Medicine
Boston, MA USA