Agarose staining

CWIS manager pha23 at cc.keele.ac.uk
Tue Feb 15 13:40:09 EST 1994

Can anybody give an ignorant physicist some sensible ideas about the best
methods (preferably with recipes) which we might be able to use to stain
agarose electrophoresis gels in such a way that we can distinguish single
stranded from double stranded DNA. We are currently using EtBr to stain all
our gels and have tried to use Sigma "Stains All". The Stains all does seem
to help in monitoring terminal transferase reactions but I'm not sure that
we have the best recipe. Anybody got any useful advice?
Trevor Forsyth, Physics Dept., Keele University, UK