Agarose staining

Grizzly Adams brownbrd at iastate.edu
Tue Feb 15 19:34:57 EST 1994

In <1994Feb15.224600.27509 at crc.ac.uk> jclewley at crc.ac.uk (Dr. J.P. Clewley) writes:

>In article <2jr4u9$6q8 at gabriel.keele.ac.uk>, pha23 at cc.keele.ac.uk (CWIS manager) writes:
>>
>> Can anybody give an ignorant physicist some sensible ideas about the best
>> methods (preferably with recipes) which we might be able to use to stain
>> agarose electrophoresis gels in such a way that we can distinguish single
>> stranded from double stranded DNA. We are currently using EtBr to stain all
>> our gels and have tried to use Sigma "Stains All". The Stains all does seem
>> to help in monitoring terminal transferase reactions but I'm not sure that
>> we have the best recipe. Anybody got any useful advice?
>> Trevor Forsyth, Physics Dept., Keele University, UK

>You might bee able to use acridine orange; I used it years ago to distinguish
>ss from ds DNA, but I don't have any current recipes.

>Jon Clewley

Some people in our department have started using YoYo to discriminate between
ss and ds DNA.  Apparently it works extremely well, but I don't know if it is
useable/has been used with agarose gels.  And of course no recipe, sorry.  I
think there was a JBC article by Benbow within the last year or so about it .
. .

eric

--
BROWNBRD at IASTATE.EDU      |  Science II room 339   |  I sincerly hope that all